In 1997, representatives of the Montréal Botanical Garden, accompanied by Mrs. Svejda go to the Experimental Farm of Agriculture Canada in L'Assumption (Québec) to select a rose that will be dedicated to Brother Marie-Victorin (1885-1944), founder of the Botanical Garden. A rose of the Explorer series labeled with the code U35 is christened with the name 'AC Marie-Victorin.
This delicate rose has shapely pink buds with orange-yellow highlights. Its blooms open to create a double blossom (9 cm with 38 petals) with silvery peach-pink petals and yellow reverse. Its clusters include 1 to 6 flowers. Its perfume is delicate and exquisite.
The inauguration of the rose 'AC Marie-Victorin' took place during the event Great Gardening Weekend at the Botanical Garden on May 26, 1998. From left to right, Raymonde Folco (Laval West MP), Pierre Bourque (former Director of the Botanical Garden and then mayor of Montreal), Denis Demars (Director of the Centre for research and development in horticulture, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada) and Claire Laberge (then horticulturist responsible for the Rose Garden at the Botanical Garden).